Owning a pet comes with many benefits, including unconditional love, a longer lifespan for their owners, and the joy of someone there to greet you when you come home. But it also comes with some inevitable responsibilities, of course. Depending on what breed or mixed breed your pet is, pet hair is one of the banes of pet ownership.
Lint brushes will only take you so far in removing hair from soft surfaces around the house. Grooming tools like the Furminator can also keep some of the hair from decorating your home, especially when your pet is actively shedding.
A pet-tested vacuum for pet hair is a necessity, even if you mainly have bare floors because sucking up the debris of hair, dander, dust mites, and tracked in the dirt makes your home cleaner and your life easier.
We’ve combed through reviews, ratings, and features to bring you these picks for the best vacuums of 2020 for getting rid of pet hair.
How to Find the Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
Besides good suction power, here are other features to look for in a vacuum specifically for pet hair.
- Floor nozzles and attachments with rubber trim
- A well-designed cleaning brush with raised “fingers” to unlock the static cling that can make pet hair grab on stubbornly to textured surfaces.
- Large, tangle-free brush rollers minimize problems of long hair getting twisted around the brush.
- Quiet operation to keep you and your pets sane, a vital pet hair vacuum feature!
- Easy-to-empty dust cups
- Filters that trap odors to eliminate pet smells. Look for those that are washable to be eco-friendly and not have to worry about buying replacements.
- Lightness. If you have carpeted stairs, you’ll definitely want something lightweight.
- Maneuverability is also important, especially when it comes to catching fur balls that escape under furniture.
- Vacuum storage. If you live in a small space, having a compact model that stores easily in a self-contained way may be a factor in your decision.
Removing pet hair from furniture, pet beds, and stairs can be cumbersome with an upright vacuum. You may find the criteria for the best vacuum for dog hair is slightly different from the best vacuum for cat hair, as cat hair may be harder to remove from upholstery.
Read on to find out the best vacuum to get rid of pet hair.
Best Bagged Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair:
With solid German engineering, this vac’s two-motor system allows it to automatically stop the brush roller as you transition from carpeting onto hard surfaces. Other things you will like:
- Automatic height adjustment and variable suction control
- A 39-foot cord allows you to cover more areas.
- Comes with an upholstery tool, dusting brush, and crevice nozzle.
- Surprisingly quiet
Considerations: Reviewers appreciate the swivel action, but if you have stairs in your home, you may find this model a bit heavy. This vacuum gets high marks for picking up pet hair and comes with a money-back guarantee.
Best Affordable Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair:
Eureka FloorRover Upright Vacuum $169.48
An all-around, upright vacuum with good suction for pet hair. It allows you to go from carpet to bare floors at the switch of a button. Other specs include:
- Swivel steering provides easy maneuverability to change directions.
- Features large wheels, which easily glide over floor and carpets.
- An easy-to-empty dust cup eliminates the cost of replacement dust bags.
- On-board accessories include a pet turbo brush as well as an upholstery tool, and a 16-inch crevice tool.
Considerations: One drawback is that the large ball prevents the vacuum from going under furniture.
Best Cordless Stick Vacuum for Pet Hair:
This vacuum is a crossover model that converts to a portable, hand-held unit. Some features that make it a best pet vacuum include:
- Cordless design with motorized head frees you from the hassle of a cord.
- Works well on hardwood floors, tile floors, as well as carpets.
- Supported by 24/7 customer service.
- Guaranteed 99.99% filtration system includes a washable, HEPA sponge filter.
- It comes with several brushes, including pet/sofa brush, motorized brush, and crevice tool.
- Can be freely converted between floor vacuum/handheld vacuum/curtain vacuum/ motorized sofa vacuum.
- Extension wand allows you to reach different heights and under furniture.
- Ultra-light design contributes to making it the best pet hair vacuum for the convenience factor.
Considerations: This vacuum gets 4.8 out of 5 stars on Amazon; however, the suction is not as strong as some other vacuums. It has a running time of up to 35 minutes.
Best Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair:
This is a 2-in-1 vacuum, specifically designed to be the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair. It easily transitions from a powerful upright pet vacuum to a detachable, portable canister vac. Its features include:
- Tangle-free brush roller
- Extended reach with a built-in telescoping wand
- SmartSeal Allergen System with Febreze filter traps dust, allergens, and odors.
- Edge-to-edge suction for powerful cleaning along baseboards.
- LED-lighted crevice tool helps you to see all the hair.
- Pet TurboEraser tool designed for removing hair from stairs and upholstery.
- Adjustable floor setting and brush roll
- On/Off provides adjustability in cleaning on carpets, hardwood floors, and other surfaces.
Considerations: This vacuum’s strong suction can make it harder to push on dense carpeting.
Best Affordable Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair:
This is a decent low-priced model for the bare-bones budget. Some features:
- Lightweight at 12 lbs.
- Good for pet hair pickup.
- Comes with a crevice tool and upholstery brush.
Best High-End Canister Vacuum for Pet Hair:
Both compact and powerful, this lightweight, 6-speed canister vacuum cleaner is designed especially for pet owners.
- Versatile and agile, it cleans all carpeting types and hard floors.
- Mini turbo brush easily cleans hair off upholstered furniture.
- Has a motorized brush with 5 levels of height adjustment to tackle removing pet hair from carpeting.
- AirClean filter captures small particles like bird dander and eliminates pet odors.
- Easy to put away, with an 18-foot power cord with automatic cord winder, 7-foot crush-proof hose with swivel handle.
Considerations: This vacuum has a strong suction, which can make it harder to push on dense carpeting.
Best Affordable Canister Vacuum for Pet Hair AND Best Vacuum for Pet Hair and Hardwood Floors
This small vacuum has powerful suction, and it is relatively quiet. Additional features:
- 3-part accessory set with upholstery, furniture, and crevice nozzle
- Long telescopic tube and a 6-foot, non-kinking suction hose
- Agile and easy to carry
Considerations: This vacuum is best for hardwood floors and tile, and for vacuuming car interiors. The suction is strong, which causes some users to report it can be a bit difficult to use for plush carpeting.
Best Handheld Vacuum for Pet Hair:
This handheld vacuum ranks high for eliminating pet hair. Here are reasons you might want to bring it home:
- A compact and lightweight vacuum cleaner, it weighs just 5 pounds
- Bagless design makes cleaning simple.
- There’s no battery to run down, and the 16-foot cord gives you leeway to move around with it to clean inside or detail your car.
- Comes with two nozzles: A rubber nozzle attracts pet hair, removing it from upholstery or carpet, and a suction nozzle for small messes like kitty litter or spilled kibble.
Considerations: The exhaust can tend to blow away loose particles rather than sucking them up.
Best Value Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair:
Eureka FloorRover Upright Vacuum $185.99
A best-seller among pet owners, this comes with a Pet Turbo Brush, designed to eliminate pet hair from bedding, floors, stairs, and upholstery. It’s easy to maneuver and get into out-of-reach places.
- Powerful suction and a direct-drive motor head that grabs surface hair and also deep cleans carpet dirt.
- Quickly and easily transforms into a handheld for cleaning on stairs, your car, or furniture.
- Lightweight for vacuuming across floor surfaces or lifting to clean high.
- Cordless, with lithium-ion batteries and a suction that lasts.
- With a wand attachment and stretched hose, the reach is over 11 feet.
Considerations: This vacuum can handle steps, sofas, hardwood floors, and carpets. A large diameter brush roller resists getting hair tangled around it. Some reviewers report that it can be hard to push across deep pile carpet.
Best Bagless Upright Vacuum for Pet Hair:
A tangle-free brush roll, an LED light to illuminate messes, and a detachable canister are all included.
- Performs on both carpets and bare floors.
- Adjusts to different heights and has the ability to turn off brush roller.
- SmartSeal Allergen System with Febreze filter traps dust and allergens while eliminating odors.
Best High-End Canister Vacuum for Pet Hair:
Miele makes top performers, and this one’s specifically designed to keep on top of cleaning up after cats and dogs.
- It’s a good pick to eliminate pesky pet odors, due to an Active AirClean Filter.
- It comes with a versatile handheld “Mini Turbo” brush attachment that’s good for upholstery, stairs, autos, and other tight spaces.
Best High-End Stick Vacuum for Pet Hair:
Dyson’s super-lightweight model gets high praise for pet hair pick-ups.
- Captures dander and microscopic particles such as bacteria and pollen.
- Cordless, with a nickel-cobalt-aluminum battery that offers fade-free power.
- As a stick vacuum, it’s effective at picking up pet hair on floors.
- Converts into a hand vac, allowing you bust hair and dust off the furniture.
Ironically, one of the features that makes a good pet vacuum—strong suction—also can make a vacuum harder to push through dense carpeting. Most vacuums will also pick up bird dander, feathers, and seed hulls, although some may scatter more than they pick up. Make a list of your must-have features, including weight, carpet density, allergenic factors, price, and versatility when choosing from the best vacuum cleaners for pet hair.