What Is the Healthiest Dog Breed?
When you’re ready to give your heart to a brand new pup, it’s important to know whether or not you have the chance of a long, healthy life together. It’s equally important to do your research so that you know what to expect. This will help you decide which fur baby is best suited to join your family. Here are some of the healthiest dog breeds for you to choose from.
Whippet! Whippet good! These sweet pups are one of the healthiest dog breed choices around. Here are some of the many reasons why they’re such a great dog:
- They are quiet. You won’t find them annoyingly barking for no reason.
- They’re incredibly intelligent and are able to learn tricks quite easily.
- Whippets are friendly and love being with their favorite fur parents.
- Expect to take them on a lot of walks. They have a great deal of energy and need to release it.
- These pups have a lifespan of about 13 years.
When you’re looking for healthy dog breeds, look no further than a rottweiler. These dogs get a bad rap for having an off-putting attitude, but they actually have a lot of great attributes, including:
- They are like big teddy bears who love to be snuggled.
- These dogs are very protective, but won’t usually be aggressive without provocation.
- If you’re a newbie dog owner, they might not be right for you. This is because their size can be intimidating, and they need a strong trainer.
- They ordinarily live for about 11 years.
If you want a dog that will be loyal and adoring, then a border collie could be the dog for you. They make incredible fur babies for many reasons, such as:
- They are empathetic and patient, making them one of the easier dogs to own.
- They train easily enough for a novice to teach them some tricks.
- They live an average of about 15 years.
The Healthiest Dog Breeds That Don’t Shed
One of the healthiest dogs that won’t leave much hair on your couch is the sweet-faced Maltese. They make a great family pet, and it’s easy to see why.
- These precious pups don’t get much bigger than seven pounds. So if you’re looking for a small pup, you’ll be all set.
- They are incredibly intelligent.
- You won’t have to work too hard to train these cuties.
- They’re easygoing, yet playful. They offer the best of both worlds.
- You’ll enjoy between 12-15 years with them if they live a healthy life.
It’s tough not to fall in love with a Labradoodle the second you meet one. It’s hard to believe that on top of being adorable, they’re also one of the healthiest dog breed options you can choose. There are many reasons for their appeal.
- These pups are a cross between a poodle and a labrador.
- Because they’re a mix of two smart breeds, they’re incredibly intelligent.
- Training is a breeze with Labradoodles. They’re eager to please and easy to train.
- They have an excellent life span of between 12-15 years.
These cool little guys have a lot of style and know-how to live it up. If you’re looking to add a dog to your home that doesn’t shed, there are many reasons why you should consider a terrier.
- They can run fast! Don’t let their short little legs fool you.
- Their original purpose was to hunt, so they’re very sharp and can learn quickly.
- They live between 12-15 years.
The Healthiest Small Dog Breeds
It wasn’t enough for corgis to be one of the most adorable dogs on the planet. They’re one of the healthiest small dog breeds, as well. They make an incredible family pet for many reasons.
- Make sure you have lots of jobs. Corgis love a hard day’s work.
- They’re herder dogs. Be sure they get lots of exercise to quell that natural instinct.
- Corgis really want to make you happy. They’re very obedient canines.
- You’re likely to enjoy an average of 13 years with your corgi fur baby.
Many of us love adorable little poodles. Their precious faces are hard to resist. It’s nice to know they can enjoy a long, healthy life if they’re well taken care of.
- Poodles are an excellent choice if you have kids in the house. They’re really friendly and love their little pals.
- Don’t expect them to protect you. They love everyone, even burglars.
- They’re great for people with allergies because they’re hypoallergenic.
- If you’re a neat freak, you’ll love the fact that these pups rarely shed.
- They have an average lifespan of about 14 years.
The biggest downfall of getting a Shih Tzu is trying to keep your composure. They are ridiculously adorable. Not only that, they’re all of these other things, as well.
- Shih Tzu’s are lap dogs. If you’re sitting down, they’re going to want to snuggle.
- You’ll want to do socialization exercises with them, so they’re comfortable with strangers.
- They’re a hypoallergenic dog that doesn’t shed a lot.
- They can live up to 16 years.
Tips for Having the Healthiest Dogs
Many of the healthiest dog breeds have some things in common when it comes to keeping their health in check. Here’s a list of things you can learn from those healthy dog breeds.
- Be sure they maintain a healthy weight.
- Feed them quality dog food. Talk to your vet to choose the brand that’s right for your dog.
- Meet with your vet annually to get regular exams for your pet.
- Make sure your pup gets lots of exercise.
- Get your pet vaccinated.
- Use special medication if you suspect parasite issues.
- Don’t let things go.
When all is said and done, the healthiest dog breed might not even be the kind you fall in love with at the shelter. Regardless, it’s good to know what kind of lifespan you can expect. Preparing yourself for possible future medical issues and vet bills matters. Find a dog you connect with, and everything else will fall into place.